This is an improved version of my original vanilla sponge cake. The ingredients are the same but I have updated the method ti make it easier to prepare. Try it today.
How To Make A New Improved Vanilla Sponge Cake
Measure out the ingredients. Place the eggs in the stand mixer and whip for two minutes until they become frothy then slowly start adding the granulated sugar. Continue whipping the eggs until they come to the ribbon stage, about five minutes more.
In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt and baking powder. Use a whisk to aerate it. Add the vanilla extract to the eggs and whip that in. Next add the flour mixture in and whip until incorporated.
Add the butter to the milk and heat until the butter is melted and the milk is warm. Meanwhile, place about 1 cup of the cake batter in a separate mixing bowl.
Once the butter and milk have been melted, add about half to the cup of batter and mix in. Add the remaining milk mixture and whisk until well combined. Pour this mixture into the remaining cake batter and mix well.
Divide the batter between two prepared pans and bake in a 350ºF/177ºC oven until a tooth pick inserted in comes out clean. Cool 10minutes before removing from the pans and finish cooling completely.
Improved Vanilla Sponge Cake Recipe
- 4 large eggs (200g)
- 2 cups of all purpose flour (260g)
- 2 cups granulated sugar (400g)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (10mL)
- a pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (10g)
- 4 oz. butter, unsalted at room temperature (1 stick) (112g)
- 1 cup whole milk (237mL)
- 2 each 8-inch cake pans
- as needed - Professional Bakery Pan Grease
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/177ºC
- Grease 2 8-inch cake pans with professional bakery pan grease
- Measure out all ingredients before you start.
- Place the eggs in the stand mixer bowl and start whisking on medium until they start to become frothy. About two minutes.
- Mean while, combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk by hand. Set aside.
- When the eggs become frothy, slowly start adding the sugar. Do not add it all at once or you can deflate the eggs. Continue to beat until the eggs come to the ribbon stage. To check to see if you are at the ribbon stage, lift the whisk from the egg mixture and make a figure 8. It should take about 2 second before the figure 8 disappears back into the egg mixture (about the time it takes to make the figure 8). Once you have reached this stage, add the vanilla and give quick whisk.
- Place the milk and butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave until the butter is melted and the milk is slightly warm.
- Add the flour all at once to the egg mixture and whisk until combined.
- Place 1 cup of the batter in a mixing bowl.
- Once the milk mixture is heated and the butter melted, add half of this to the cup of batter and mix well. Add the remaining milk to the batter and mix well.
- Pour the milk mixture into the batter and mix well.
- Divide the batter between 2 prepared 8-inch (20cm) baking pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350ºF/177ºC oven for 20-28 minutes or until done.
- Allow to cool 10 to 15 minutes in the pan before turning out onto cooling racks to cool.
Watch How To Make A New Improved Vanilla Sponge Cake