Tell me who can not resist a great tasting pistachio cake. It is amazing and absolutely the best!
Give this recipe a try and tell me what you think. I add a few drops of green food coloring to give the cake a slight green tint just like pistachios, remember we don’t only taste out food but we eat with our eyes too.
How To Make a Pistachio Sponge Cake
Measure out the ingredients. Place the eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer fitter with the wsire whisk attachment. Start the mixer on slow to start whipping then increase speed. When the eggs become frothy. after 1-2 minutes, slowly add the sugar while whipping. Continue to whip until the eggs read the “ribbon stage”, you will notice the eggs become a lighter yellow color and are airy. If you dip the whisk in the batter and make a figure 8 patter with what drips off, you should be able to complete the 8 before it melts back into the batter.
Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl add the milk and butter, heat until the butter melts and the milk is warm. (You can heat this in a saucepan on the stove if you wish.) Add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt which have been sifted together) to the egg mixture and whip until incorporated.
Once the butter has melted, add a few drops of green food coloring, vanilla extract and the pistachio extract, mix to combine. Add some of you egg mixture and add to the milk. Whisk to combine. Add a total of half of the egg mixture to the milk mixture. One incorporated, pour the milk mixer, into the remaining egg mixture and mix well.
Add the pistachios and mix in. Divide the batter between 2 cake pans 8-inch (20cm) diameter which have been well greased with the professional style bakery pan grease. (Lining the pans with wax paper/parchment paper is optional.) Bake in a preheated 350ºF/177ºC and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. When down, allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing from the pan to finish cooling.
Pistachio Sponge Cake Recipe
- 4 large Eggs, at room temperature (200g)
- 2 cups granulated sugar (400g)
- 1 cup whole milk (237mL)
- 1 stick unsalted butter (112g ) (4 ounces or ½ cup)
- ½ teaspoon pistachio extract (3mL)
- 1 Tablespoon Rum Extract (15 mL) (or vanilla extract)
- a few drops Green Food Coloring
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour (120g) (You may sub in cake flour here)
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder (10g)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt (2g)
- ½ cup ground pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/177ºC.
- Prepare 2 cake pans (8-inch (20cm) diameter by greasing with professional style bakery pan grease
- Measure out the ingredients.
- Combine the all-purpose flour, salt and baking powder. Sift together. Set aside.
- Add the eggs to the stand mixer bowl. With the wire whisk attachment whip until the eggs start becoming frothy, about 1-2 minutes. Slowly add in the granulated sugar and continue to whip until you reach the ribbon stage. Add the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Add the milk and butter to a microwave safe bowl and heat until the butter is melted and the milk is warm. Add the extracts and green food coloring. Mix to combine.
- Add about a quarter of the egg mixture into the milk mixture; whisk to combine. Add another quarter of the egg mixture to the milk mixture; mix to combine.
- Add the milk mixture to the egg mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add the ground pistachios; mix to combine.
- Pour into 2 prepared pans and bake in a 350ºF/177ºC oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto cooling rack to fully cool.