Vanilla Sponge cake is light and airy almost sponge like. When I assembly and decorate a sponge cake, I like to make sure I sprinkle some simple syrup on the layers under the icing/filling to moisten the cake. Sponge cakes tend to be on the dry side and this help moisten them up.
Can you make this at home, sure you can. You will find that homemade cakes are much better than box mixes. You know what your ingredients are and best of all no preservatives. Sure it make take a little more than than just opening up a box and adding some eggs, butter and milk, but this is so much better. Follow along as I show you how to make vanilla sponge cake, share my recipe and show you in a video too.
How to Make Vanilla Sponge Cake
Measure out your ingredients. Prepare 2 8-inch baking pans with Professional Style Bakery Pan Grease. Place the eggs in the stand mixer bowl and mix on medium high speed for 3 minutes. Mean while sift the flour and set aside.
At this point, slowly add the sugar to the eggs while continuing to whisk. You are looking to whip the eggs/sugar to what is knows as ribbon stage. To check to see if you are at the ribbon stage, Lift some batter up with the whisk and try and make a figure 8 pattern. The 8 should stay at least 2 seconds before it disappears back into the batter. If the does not stay for the 2 seconds continue to whip the eggs and check in one minute intervals.
Add the vanilla and mix it in. Place the milk and butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave until the butter is melter and the milk is slightly warm.
Add the flour all at once and mix long enough to mix in.
Remove the bowl from the mixer. Take about 1/3 of the cake batter and mix it in with the milk/butter mixture. Use a wire whisk to mix together. Add the milk mixture to the cake batter and whisk together to mix.
Divide between 2 prepared cake pans. Bake in a preheated 350ºF/177ºC over for 20 to 28 minutes or until done.
Cook 10-15 minutes in pan before removing from pan onto cooling racks to finish cooling.
Vanilla Sponge Cake Recipe
- 4 large eggs (200g)
- 2 cups of all purpose flour (260g)
- 2 cups granulated sugar (400g)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (10mL)
- a pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (10g)
- 4 oz. butter, unsalted at room temperature (1 stick) (112g)
- 1 cup whole milk (237mL)
- 2 each 8-inch cake pans
- as needed - Professional Bakery Pan Grease
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/177ºC
- Grease 2 8-inch cake pans with professional bakery pan grease
- Measure out all ingredients before you start.
- Place the eggs in the stand mixer bowl and start whisking on medium until they start to become frothy. About three minutes.
- Mean while, sift the flour and set aside.
- When the eggs become frothy, slowly start adding the sugar. Do not add it all at once or you can deflate the eggs. Continue to beat until the eggs come to the ribbon stage. To check to see if you are at the ribbon stage, lift the whisk from the egg mixture and make a figure 8. It should take about 2 second before the figure 8 disappears back into the egg mixture (about the time it takes to make the figure 8). Once you have reached this stage, add the vanilla and give quick whisk.
- Place the milk and butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave until the butter is melted and the milk is slightly warm.
- Add the flour all at once and whisk until combined.
- In order to no deflate our eggs, we must add about ⅓ of the egg mixture to the milk mixture and mix together with the whisk. Once this is completed, add the milk mixture to the egg mixture and whisk together.
- Pour the batter into 2 prepared 8-inch baking pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350ºF/177ºC oven for 20-28 minutes or until done.
- Allow to cool 10 to 15 minutes in the pan before turning out onto cooling racks to cool.