Are you a vanilla cake lover or a chocolate cake lover? That is a tough question to answer because I love them both. So let’s do the best of both worlds and make a marble cake.
Today we are going to be using loaf pans to make a simple layered cake. Hope you enjoy it! I sure did.
How to make a Marble Cake
Measure out the ingredients. The flour, salt and baking power can all be placed in the same bowl. It is always a good idea to sift the dry ingredients to make sure they are well combines. In a mixing bowl, place the eggs and the sugar and using either a hand whisk or a hand held mixer, beat until combined. Add the vanilla extract and the optional vanila bean seeds, if using. Mix well.
Add the canola oil, mix. Next add the plain yogurt and mix. Now add all the dry ingredients and mix only until just combined.
Divide the cake batter in half into two bowls. Add the unsweetened cocoa powder to one bowl and mix in.
Now is the fun part. It is time to split the cake batter between two prepared loaf pans. I like putting at least 4 layers in each pan – 2 vanilla and 2 chocolate, but you can do more or less to your liking. I put a layer of vanilla batter down first, then a layer of chocolate. I now repeat the vanilla and chocolate layers until I am out of cake batter.
Bake in a preheated 350Fº/177ºC over for 40-50 minutes or until the cake is done. (A tooth pick inserted in the cake should come out clean.) Cool in the pan 10 minutes before turning out onto the cooling rack to finish cooling. Ice as desired.
Marble Cake Recipe
- 4 Eggs (200g)
- 2 cups granulated sugar (400g)
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract (5 mL)
- 1 each vanilla bean (optional) seeds only
- 1 cup canola oil (237 mL)
- 2 cups plain yogurt (474 mL)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (260g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (8g)
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup of cocoa powder (21g)
- Prepare the cake pans by coating liberally with professional bakery pan grease. I am going to split the batter between two 8-1/2 inch long x 4-1/2-inch wide x 2-1/2 inch high bread pans.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/177ºC
- Measure out the ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs and sugar. Mix well. (use a wire whisk or a hand mixer as desired.)
- Add the vanilla extract and optional vanilla bean seeds, mix well.
- Add the canola oil, mix.
- Add Yogurt, mix.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix enough to incorporate.
- Separate batter into 2 bowls. To the one bowl, add the cocoa powder and mix well.
- Split the cake batter between two prepared pans. Start with a small layer of vanilla cake batter then chocolate then vanilla then chocolate until all batter has been used up. You want at least 4 layers (2 vanilla and 2 chocolate) in each pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350ºF/177ºC oven for 40-50 minutes or until it is done.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing from pan to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Ice as desired.
Watch How To Make Marble Cake