Hazelnut cake is so good. you will love it. It may seem like there is a lot of work to make this cake, but it goes quickly.
How To Make a Hazelnut Cake
Measure out the ingredients. If the hazelnuts are not toasted. toast and chop. Sift the cake flour and the baking powder together. Add the ground cinnamon and brown sugar. Stir to combine using a wire whisk. I should of started mixing this in a larger bowl, but i need to transfer it to a larger bowl.
Add the water, canola oil and egg yolks to a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside for now.
Add the egg white to the stand mixer bowl. Using the wire whisk attachment, start whipping the white until they become frothy and foamy. Slowly add the granulated sugar and whip until medium peaks form.
Add the egg yolk mixture to the flour mixture. Mix with a wire whisk, the mixture will be very dry. Add a third of the egg whites and fold into the batter.
Add the nuts and fold in. Add half of the remaining egg whites and fold in. Add the last of the egg whites and fold in.
Prepare you baking pan by coating with oil/grease, line the pan with parchment or wax paper. Add the hazelnut cake batter, level out and bake in a 350ºF/177ºC oven until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove to cooling rack to cool.
Hazelnut Cake Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups Cake Flour (180g)
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder (8g)
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon (3g)
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar (133g)
- 5 fl oz Water (150mL)
- ½ cup Canola Oil (120mL) (99g)
- 3 Large egg yolks (42g)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract (5mL)
- 6 large Egg Whites (210g)
- ¾ cup granulated Sugar (150g)
- ¾ cup Toasted hazelnuts GROUND (56g)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/177ºC.
- Measure out all ingredients.
- Sift the cake flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add the ground cinnamon and brown sugar. Stir with a wire whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the water, canola oil, egg yolks and the vanilla extract. Mix with a wire whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Add the egg whites to a clean grease free bowl for the stand mixer. Using the wire whisk attachment start whipping the egg whites until they become frothy. At this point slowly add the granulated sugar and whip into a medium peak meringue.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Mix with a wire whisk. The mixture will be dry.
- Add one third of the egg whites to the batter and fold in. Add the nut, fold in. Add half if the remaining egg whites and fold in. Add the remaining egg whites and fold in.
- Prepare baking pan(s) by greasing/oiling them and lining with wax/parchment paper. Grease/oil the parchment/wax paper.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Level the batter and bake in to preheated 350ºF/177ºC oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove to cooling rack to cool.
This can also be baked in a half or quarter sheet pan.