Red Velvet Cupcakes are so yummy. The original Red Velvet batter was made by accident when the vinegar added to a recipe gave the cake a red tint. Well in this modern age, we expect to see a red velvet cake RED, not a brownish red, we want a bright RED, so food coloring is also added to color these lovely pieces of heaven.
I use a powdered red food coloring. If you do not have access to powdered food colorings that is okay. Check the notes section of the recipe for substitutes.
Measure out your ingredients. Sift the dry ingredients (minus the sugar) into a work bowl.
Add the granulated sugar and whisk into the dry ingredients. Add the liquid ingredients.
Whisk the batter together.
Add paper liners to cupcake pans and fill the liners. Bake in a 350ºF/177ºC for for 20-25 minutes or until done.
Here is your finished cupcake. Ice and decorate as desired.
- 2-1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Powdered Red Food Coloring *see not 1 for substitutions
- 1-1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- ¾ cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon White Distilled Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF/177ºC
- Measure out all ingredients.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together into a bowl.
- Add in the sugar and whisk into the dry flour mixtures.
- Add in the buttermilk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract,vinegar and an egg. Whisk to incorporate.
- Line cupcake pans with paper cups. Fill cups.
- Bake in a 350ºF/177ºCfor 20 to 25 minutes.