I love this chocolate cake recipe. It is made a little differently than most cakes since we add all the dry ingredients all at once then add in the buttermilk, hot water and melted chocolate last. This recipe will make 4 8-inch diameter layers.Measure out the ingredients. Then you cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time and scrape down the bowl several times.
Add the dry ingredients and vanilla extract. Slowly add in buttermilk while mixing.
Slowly add the hot water and last the melted chocolate.
After one quick final mix you are done. Divide between 4 prepared 8-inch diameter baking pans and bake at 350ºF/177ºC for 40-45 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- 2 sticks Butter (1/2 pound or about 225 g), room temperature
- 3 cups Granulated Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Instant Coffee Granules (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- pinch of Salt
- ⅔ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup Butter Milk, room temperature
- 1 cup Hot Water
- 4 oz . Baking Chocolate (couverture chocolate) (melted) (about ⅔ cup pieces - 4 squares baking chocolate)
- Prepare 4 8-inch/20 cm cake pans by brushing with professional style baking pan grease. To help insure release, add a piece of parchment or wax paper and then grease the top of the paper.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/177ºC.
- Measure out all ingredients needed.
- To the mixing bowl, add the butter and granulated sugar. Mix until the mixture is light and creamy. About 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl every now and then.
- Now all in all the flour, vanilla extract, instant coffee granules, baking powder, salt and unsweetened cocoa powder. Start the mixer on slow and slowly start adding in the butter milk.
- When all the butter milk has been incorporated, slowly add in the hot water.
- Add in the melted baking (couverture) chocolate. Mix well.
- Divide the batter between 4 prepared 8-inch cake pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350ºF/177ºC oven for 40-45 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before turning out of pans to finish cooling.