The Best Coconut Walnut Cake is so simple to make, you are going to say where was this recipe all my life. While the walnuts can be omitted, I would not recommend doing that. You can always use a different nut maybe even raisins or apples. The choice is always yours.
How to Make the Best Coconut Walnut Cake
Measure you ingredients. In a large mixing bowl add the eggs and sugar. Use a hand mixer to mix well.
Add the zest of 1 lemon, the yogurt and whole milk. Mix to combine.
Add the sweetened coconut flakes and mix well. Place the semolina flour, all-purpose flour and baking powder in a bowl. Mix well to combine. Now add 1/3rd to 1/2 of the flour mixture to the batter and mix well. Repeat until all the flour mixture has been added.
Add the walnuts and fold in with a spatula. The batter is very thick. Pour the batter into a parchment lined baking pan. I am using a 9-inch x 13-inch glass dish. Smooth the batter and bake in a preheated 350ºF/177ºC oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Mean while prepare the simple syrup.
Making the Simple Syrup
Place the sugar and water in a sauce pan. Place on the stove on high heat until it comes to a boil. At this point, turn the stove down to medium and continue to boil for 8 minutes. Transfer to a heat proof pitcher or measuring cup you can pour out of.
Remove Cake from Oven and Soak with Simple Syrup
Remove the cake from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Pour the hot simple syrup over the top. Continue pouring until all the syrup is used up. Allow to cool before cutting. Enjoy
Best Coconut Walnut Cake Recipe
- 3 large eggs (150g)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200g)
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 cup whole milk (237mL)
- ¾ cup yogurt (6.6 ounces or 200 grams)
- 1 + ½ a cup semolina (250g)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (65g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (10g)
- 1 + ½ a cup sweetened coconut flakes (130g)(4.5 ounces)
- ½ cup toasted walnuts (55g)
- 2 cups granulated sugar (400g)
- 2 cups water (475 mL)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/177ºC. Prepare a glass 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish by lining it with parchment paper and spraying the paper and the sides with spray oil such as Pan®.
- In a large bowl. add the eggs and sugar. Mix well to combine.
- Add the zest from one lemon. Add the yogurt and milk and mix well.
- In a different bowl, place the semolina and all-purpose flours and the baking powder. Mix these together.
- Now you are going to add the flour mixture into the egg mixture in two or three portions. Add one third of the flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix to incorporate. Repeat adding flour and mixing until all the flour has been combined.
- Add the toasted walnuts and fold in with a spatula.
- Pour into a prepared parchment lined baking dish. Level then place in a preheated 350ºF/177ºC oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Meanwhile prepare the simple syrup.
- Place the sugar and water in a pot. Stir to combine.
- Place the pot on the stove on high heat. Continue heating until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and continue to boil for 8 minutes. Transfer to a heat proof pitcher or measuring cup so you can use it to pour over the lake. Set aside until the cake finishes baking.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on the cooling rack.
- Slowly pour the simple syrup all over the top of the cake. Use all the syrup.
- Allow the cake to cool before cutting and serving.
Watch me make the Best Coconut Walnut Cake