I admire a great pastry chef, Gretchen Price. I have been following her ever since she started her original you-tube channel as Crumb Boss which is where I first tried this recipe. It is the absolute best out there. This was my inspiration for this dessert.
Once you try it yourself, you will be hooked too.
How To Make Chocolate Mousse
Measured out the ingredients. The semi-sweet chocolate is melted in the microwave in a heat proof bowl. Add the boiling water and mix well. Add the optional rum or whiskey, stir well.
To the bowl of the stand mixer, add the egg whites and cream of tarter. Whip until they become foamy and slowly add in the sugar, Continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
Once stiff peaks are achieved, you will fold that into the chocolate mixture in 3 steps. I am using a wire whisk to fold the egg whites in. Once you have added the last of the egg whites, add the heavy cream to the stand mixer bowl.
Start mixing the heavy cream and mix until medium peaks for, In the mean time finish folding in the egg whites. When the heavy cream has reached medium peaks stage, add the whipped cream ti the chocolate mixture and fold in.
When the whipped cream has been folded in you now have chocolate mousse. Cover with some plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, about 2-3 hours. Enjoy.
Raw Eggs in the Mousse
There have been many comment about raw egg whites in this recipe. While the US Food and Drug Administration recommends all eggs get cook until fully set to eliminate the threat of salmonella, here are a few things you can do, Use pasteurized egg whites in a carton or pasteurized whole eggs or use a pasteurized powdered egg white product and reconstitute following package directions.
Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- 8 ounces Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate (225g) (about 1-1/3 cups pieces)
- ¼ cup Boiling Water (60mL)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Rum or whiskey (7.5mL) (optional)
- 3 large Egg Whites (75g) or equivalent (1/2 cup or 115mL)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (12g)
- ⅛ teaspoon Cream Of Tartar
- 1 cup Heavy Cream (237mL)
- Measure out all ingredients.
- Place the semi-sweet chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and melt the chocolate being careful not to burn it.
- Add the boiling water to the chocolate and mix with a wire whisk.
- Add the rum or whiskey if using and mix well. Set aside,
- Add the egg whites and cream of tarter to the stand mixer bowl and with the wire whisk attachment start whipping until the egg whites become foamy. At this point slowly add in the granulated sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks are formed.
- Fold in the egg whites to the chocolate mixture in three stages.
- Add the heavy cream to the stand mixing bowl and whip until medium firm peaks.
- Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. Congratulations you now have chocolate mousse.
- Cover the chocolate mousse with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.
- Chocolate mousse must remain refrigerated until serving time.
This must must be refrigerated until serving time. It will store for several days.
Make it with me! How To Make Chocolate Mousse – Recipe Tutorial
This recipe is inspired from Pastry Chef Gretchen Price and her chocolate mousse recipe.