Making chocolate decorations is not as hard as you think. You can do it! Yes You!!! Follow these steps for a few basic designs and as you get better, go bigger and come up with your own designs.
How to Make Chocolate Decorations
- Chocolate – Wilton Candy Melts, Merkens Compound Chocolates are just two popular brands that are available in array of colors and do not require tempering.
- Vegetable Shortening melted or Paramount crystals or a neutral flavored vegetable oil for thinning the chocolate
- Disposable pastry bag or a paper cone to spread the chocolate
- Food coloring Oil based colors are preferred, however you can get away with some paste or gel colorings, just watch the chocolate does not seize – thin with melted solid vegetable oil.
- Parchment Paper to make the decorations on.
- Decorations – assorted types. Sugar pearls, edible glitter, quins/confetti, sanding sugars, non-perils etc.
Fill a pastry bag with chocolate. First decoration is a chocolate fan. Start with a dot of chocolate then make an elongated oval followed by two triangles. For a finishing touch apple a silver dragee to the chocolate dot. Note on dragees – they are not edible and are for decorations only, in some areas of the US they have been outlawed (California comes to mind), what may be a better idea is a sugar pearl which is completely edible.
The second chocolate decoration is zigzag lines. Simple but elegant. The last white chocolate decoration I am going to call a chocolate pick. Make a dot of chocolate then give it a triangular spike.Decorate with some hearts and confetti quins.
How to color you own chocolate.
Ideally you will use an oil based color. Do not use a water based color suck as those 4 bottle set you buy in the grocery store. Add some gel color to your melted chocolate. Stir to mix it in, you may notice the chocolate is becoming grainy. Add some melted vegetable shortening and stir it in, if that does not correct the problem, add some more.
One simple decoration using this pink chocolate. Take some chocolate, place it on the parchment paper and use the back side of the spoon to pull a tail. Decorate with some edible glitter and heart/confetti decorations.