Homemade Pizza Dough from scratch is so easy and much better tasting than bough pizza. You are going to say to yourself why do I ever buy the frozen pizzas. Make this dough and store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and make pizza on short notice, quicker than delivery. This recipe is only for the dough, while the video does show how to make a pizza, I will put that in a separate recipe.
We start by measuring out the ingredients. Then mix the warm water, sugar and yeast and allow it to proof. Adding oil next and mixing it in.
The remaining dough ingredients are added. And we knead the dough in the stand mixer for 5-7 minutes or until it becomes elastic and does not stick to the side.
Remove dough to a floured surface and knead into a round ball. Place is an oiled/greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm draft free place to proof for about 1 to 2 hours.
This is where I want to stop this recipe. I will pick up at Finishing our Pizza3
- 1+1/3 cup Warm Water (110ºF/43ºC)
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2+1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Bread Flour
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon of bread improver (optional) or dough conditioner
- In the mixing bowl, place the warm water, the sugar and the yeast. Stir. Allow to sit 5-10 minutes to proof. This mixture should become bubbly and foamy. If it does not, it is an indication that your yeast is no good and it should discard what you have done so far and repeat with fresh yeast.
- Add the olive oil and stir to mix.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Knead the dough on low speed (Kitchen Aid recommends no more than speeds 2 or 3 and not to use speed 1 to mix doughs).
- Knead for 5-7 minutes until the dough changes texture and becomes elastic and no longer sticks to the side of the bowl. Adjust with flour or water as required.
- Place the dough into a bowl which has been greased or oiled with olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap. Proof in a warm spot for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until the dough has doubled in side. (Alternatively you can proof the dough in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours or overnight and remove from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before continuing.)
- To continue making the pizza go to the Pizza Recipe.
To knead dough by hand, Place ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until stiff. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until dough is smooth and soft, about 10 minutes. Continue from step 4 above.
To use Compressed Cake Yeast. Replace the active dry yeast with 25 grams of fresh cake yeast (Red Star Brand). This is equivalent to a little less than ½ a 2 ounce cake.
To use Instant or Rapid Rise Yeast. Replace the active dry yeast with an equivalent measurement of Instant or Rapid Rise Yeast and mix the yeast with the flour. There is no need to proof this yeast, so add the water, sugar and oil to the mixing bowl then the all the remaining ingredients.
Make Pizza Dough With Me