There are many different ways to make Pigs in A Blanket. Some people use puff pastry, others use those crescent rolls in a can in the refrigerated section of the supermarket and other make their own puff pastry. And to make things even more confusing, Pigs in a Blanket are not the same in all countries. For the meat you can use hot dogs, cocktail franks, Vienna Sausages, small sausages (1/2-inch (1.25 cm) diameter max,).
I am going to show you how to make Pigs in A Blanket using frozen puff pastry dough, hot dogs (frankfurters) and a topping of sesame seeds. These can be assembled and frozen to be baked at a later date. They can even be refrigerated overnight and baked the next day before serving.
There are not many ingredients. There are the hot dogs, puff pastry, sesame seeds, an egg wash solution. A few simple tools are needed – a knife, a baking sheet and some parchment paper.
Start out by gathering your ingredients. Cut the hot dogs into three equal pieces.
Slice the puff pastry into strips just a little wider than your hot dog. Place the hot dog on the end of the strip and roll it up until it the pastry end meet the pastry strip.
Cut the puff pastry strip where it meets the end. Press the seam together and curve the end slightly around the ends of the hot dog to encase it. Do not pinch the ends close you are only slightly pushing the dough over the end to hold the hot dog in place.
Dip the pig. seam end, into some egg wash and then into sesame seeds (you can also use poppy seeds or any other toppings you desire. You may even use nothing at all.).
Place onto a prepared baking sheet. I am using a parchment lined baking sheet, but you can use a silicon mat or a greased baking sheet.
Bake in a preheated 400ºF/205ºC for 15-25 minutes or until the pastry is a golden brown and the meat is cooked through.
- 1 package Puff Pastry, thawed
- 1 pound Hot Dogs (frankfurters) (use 10 to a pound ones)
- Sesame Seeds
- Poppy Seeds
- Sea Salt (Kosher Salt or Pretzel Salt or other large grain salt)
- Pepper (Fresh ground)
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- Place one egg along with one tablespoon water in a bowl and using a fork or small whisk to mix well.
- Prepare the hot days by slicing them into three equal size pieces (if you want smaller or larger appetizers slice them as desired)
- Unfold a sheet of puff pastry. Slice the pastry into strips slightly larger the the hot dog pieces. Using a pizza cutter makes cutting the strips much easier, of course you can use a knife.
- Prepare you baking sheet by placing a piece of parchment on it. Alternatively you can use a greased baking pan or a pan lined with a silicon mat.
- Place a piece of hot dog at the edge of the puff pastry slice, and roll up. Where the end meets the strip, slice the strip of.
- Pinch the seams together.
- Dip the seam side down into the egg wash and then into the sesame seeds (or other toppings as desired). Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 400ºF/205ºC oven and bake 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is a golden brown.
- Serve with dipping sauce as desired.
A Video is worth a thousand words. Watch how easy Pigs in A Blanket are to make.